High SchoolIB Diploma Programme
The IB DP is a well rounded liberal arts and science program designed to prepare students for success in life beyond school. The IB’s reputation for rigorous assessment gives IB Diploma holders access to the world’s leading universities and solid preparation for high achievement once enrolled.
IB DP students study:
- 6 courses covering major fields of learning* (i.e. one of each of the following: First and Second Language, Humanities, Experimental Science, Mathematics and an Arts course)
- Theory of Knowledge (TOK) – an interdisciplinary course
- Extended Essay – not more than 4000 words on a topic of the student’s choice
- Participation and completion in the Creativity Action Service (CAS) program
Usually 3 courses (not more than 4) are chosen at Higher Level (HL) to allow for specialization, and 3 courses at Standard Level (SL) to ensure a broad education.
The major aims of the IB DP are to:
- Educate young people to act intelligently and responsibly in a complex society
- Ensure knowledge of traditional academic disciplines and the individual’s own heritage, while fostering inquisitiveness and openness to new ideas
- Equip students with a genuine understanding of themselves and others, heightening the capacity for tolerance and engendering respect for different points of view.
College Counseling Service